Sunday, August 5, 2012

Antioch Marina (update)


I had the itch to paddle this evening so I ended up dragging my daughter with me for a quick paddle to the Dow Wetlands from the Antioch Marina. The marina now has a self pay kiosk so it is no longer free to launch. It's $5.00 to launch but the ticket lasts for 24 hours. If the weather cooperates, I plan on returning in the morning.

The temperature was in the upper 70's with the wind blowing about 12mph according to my wind speed ap. High tide was at 6:47, which is about the time we launched. The water was a little choppy but not too bad. If you decide to paddle this area you really want to check the weather and be comfortable paddling in wind and white caps. It gets really windy this time of year. It took us about 20 minutes to paddle against the wind and current to get to the  Dow Wetlands Preserve. It's usually a little calmer within the preserve but not tonight. After taking a few pictures we decided to paddle a little further inside the preserve.

I checked my phone to see what time it was and when I looked up I realized that a beaver was swimming toward my boat. At first I thought, "how cute," but then I accidentally screamed when it looked like he was going to jump in my boat which sent him underwater rather quickly. With my heart racing we decided it was a good time to head home. We didn't have to do much work to get back. We just let the wind and current take us back to the marina while we enjoyed the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment