Saturday, March 30, 2013

Intro Kayak Classes and Social Paddles

The past few weeks I have had the privilege of introducing teens to the sport of kayaking. We all have had a great time on the water working on basic strokes, touring and playing games to reinforce what they have learned. Our class is currently meeting Monday mornings in Discovery Bay and I may add an afternoon class in the near future.





I also offer intro classes for adults. This is a great opportunity to try out the sport without a huge investment. My classes generally run 2.5 hours and I will pick the best location based on where you live and water conditions. I use recreational sit-insides and sit-on-tops for their great stability. Kayaking is a great sport for both young and not so young alike.

I had the opportunity this past week to introduce a 74 year young gentlemen to paddling. He had canoed before but had never been in a kayak. We met at Sandy Beach on Sherman Island on Thursday just before low tide. The sky was overcast but it was quite warm and I don't think I've ever seen Sherman Lake so calm. After launching and getting comfortable in the kayak, we worked on forward, reverse and sweep strokes and just paddled around taking in the scenery. We were fortunate to spot three river otters busy swimming among the marsh and a few coots. My client was a great student and said he definitely wants to paddle again!

If you'd like to try kayaking I would be happy to help. Call Delta Kayak Adventures to sign up for a private class or bring some friends and learn as a group. Don't forget to mark your calendars and sign up for one of Delta Kayak Adventures Friday Sunset Social paddles. It's a great way to meet some wonderful people, get some exercise and take in the beauty of the Delta. Hope to see you on the water soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment