Monday, December 23, 2013

Pittsburg to Antioch around Browns Island

What a beautiful day today on the Delta. I spent the afternoon paddling my Whisky 16 around Browns Island to the Dow Wetlands Preserve and onto Antioch. I launched about 2:00 from the Pittsburg Marina about 15 minutes after low tide. It was 63 degrees with a gentle breeze coming from the southwest.

I crossed New York slough and paddled north around Browns Island towards Middle slough. I made note of a few beaches I passed for future reference. The water of Suisun Bay was very calm with only a couple small boats anchored and fishing. It only took me 15 minutes while paddling against a gentle current to reach Middle Slough. I was surprised at the lack of wildlife today but it was incredibly peaceful out there.



I paddled south on Middle slough closer to Winter Island until I reached New York Slough once again. I passed by what looked like an old wreck and about three barges loaded with debris. I reached the southeast tip of Winter Island at about 3:00 and stopped for a snack in some shade. I continued on to the Dow Wetlands Preserve where I finally spotted some waterfowl enjoying the sunshine. As I was leaving the Preserve an otter spotted me and we watched each other for a few minutes. He would hide behind some tule as he stretched his head about 6 inches above the water to check on me. He was so cute and encountering him was a wonderful treat to end the day.


It was great to get on the water and escape the hustle and bustle of the Christmas rush. Being alone on the water gave me the chance to "recharge" and think about the true meaning of Christmas.

May your Christmas and holiday season be filled with love, peace and joy!


Luke 2:11: "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord."





No comments:

Post a Comment