Friday, September 7, 2012

Cowboys, Cowgirls and Paddle Float Rescues

This past week I've been practicing self rescues with my sea kayak in our backyard pool. Our pool isn't very big but it's large enough for me to do a wet exit and try to reenter my kayak. I started out by watching YouTube videos showing the cowboy rescue and while searching I discovered the cowgirl rescue. This is a good video comparing the two: Cowboy vs. Cowgirl Rescue. I practiced with and without a PFD and also with and without a wetsuit. I found the Cowboy to be easier with a wetsuit as I was able to slide without sticking to the aft deck. The Cowgirl was quicker but I found it more difficult to get past the back of my seat.   YouTube is a great resource for all sorts of info related to kayaking. PaddleTV has some great instructional videos.

After getting the cowboy and cowgirl down, I worked on the paddle float rescue. I ended up buying the foam paddle float because I thought it would be more convenient to not have to inflate something while swimming. I like the foam but it is quite large and will take up a lot of room. Definitely too big to store on deck so I'll probably keep it between my feet although I'm not sure how safe that is. The paddle float rescue is so much easier knowing you have more stability.

I'm having a blast trying to learn different rescues and such. Tomorrow, if the wind cooperates, I'm hoping to explore somewhere I haven't been before. I'll keep you posted. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment