Friday, November 16, 2012

Cosumnes River Preserve

Thursday my son and I had the pleasure of paddling the Cosumnes River Preserve. We launched at about 11:15 a.m. and the weather was perfect. The temperature was in the low 60's and there was barely a current. A 1.09 ft. low tide was predicted for 1:15 and made for an interesting return as it was extremely shallow (less than 6 inches) in some places along Middle Slough. Definitely consult the tides before departing on this trip.



This is a great time of year to explore the preserve. We spotted Sandhill Cranes, Herons, American Bittern and many different types of duck. The foliage along the shoreline is changing colors and makes for a beautiful landscape.





We paddled at a leisurely pace about 2.5 miles to what the preserve calls "the tall forest." This is a great spot to stretch your legs and eat lunch. After we ate our lunch we hopped back in our boats for the trip home. I brought my fishing pole and tossed my line in a couple of times with no success. I had a lot on my plate this day so I didn't get to spend as much time here as I would have liked but I'm glad we did it.


No comments:

Post a Comment