Saturday, September 28, 2013

West Island

I couldn't let a beautiful day like today get away without getting on the water! The temperature was in the low 80's with absolutely no wind until I was almost home. Low tide was predicted for 5:26 p.m. and I launched from Lauritzen Harbor at about 4:20 p.m.



I paddled with the outgoing tide under the Antioch bridge and headed northwest towards West Island. There were lots of pleasure boaters on the water and the Antioch fishing pier was crowded with people soaking their lines. It took about 20 minutes to reach the eastern tip of West Island and another 25 minutes to reach the westernmost edge. From there I paddled directly south towards the Antioch Dunes Wildlife area where I stopped for a few minutes just to enjoy the scenery.



There wasn't a lot of wildlife to view today other than a Great Blue Heron and thousands of swallows flying back in forth over the water. I noticed a couple of small airplanes that drew a heart in the sky. I wonder who that was for? Sweet.

After a brief rest and a granola bar, I began my paddle home. It was now slack tide and I didn't get any help from the current nor was there the usual wind to push me homeward. I could see the bridge in the distance but it seemed after awhile that I may not make it back by dark. Within a few minutes of that thought a strong gust of wind came up behind me and to my relief, assisted my efforts to make it back before nightfall.

I paddled almost 7 miles in a little over 2 hours. It was a great workout and great to be out on the water! You can view more photos on my Facebook page.

Beginning of paddle

Almost home!

No comments:

Post a Comment