Saturday, October 5, 2013

Hurricane Skimmer 128

This afternoon I had the pleasure of paddling a recent addition to my fleet, the Hurricane Skimmer 128. This afternoon was absolutely gorgeous with not a stitch of wind and glassy water. The only waves present were those produced by the many pleasure boaters out today and a very large tanker.




High tide was predicted for Antioch at 3:26 so I launched at 3:00 from the Antioch Marina with a gentle current pushing me eastward. My first impression of the Skimmer 128 was that its initial stability felt a little tippy. This boat was designed for touring which I believe will do well with experienced paddlers. The new Airstream Seat is easy to adjust and was pretty comfortable once I got it dialed in. It comes standard with a bow hatch and a day hatch directly in front of the seat and in the stern. The day hatches are nice and deep to store smaller items.  The skimmers are constructed of lightweight Trylon and this boat weighs in at 43 lbs. which makes it much easier to load and unload than rotomolded plastic boats. The boat is definitely a cruiser and sliced through the waves generated by boats with ease.




Overall I'm very pleased with the Skimmer 128. If you would like to paddle it yourself, contact Delta Kayak Adventures to schedule a demo or you can request it for use during one of our tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment