Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lodi Lake - Lodi Paddle Club Sunset Paddle

Lodi Paddle Club and Headwaters Kayak  host a Tuesday night sunset paddle each week at Lodi Lake.  Tonight was the first time I was able to attend and I'm so glad I did.  Myself and quite a few other paddlers, actually more than 30, enjoyed a break from the 93 degree heat on the water.  It was neat to see all the different boats out there, not one alike.   I really appreciate the variety of boats, each with it's own personality.  There were Sterling sea kayaks, Eddyline, Wilderness Systems, Necky, Native Watercraft and we can't forget my own RTM Tempo and I'm sure I'm leaving a few out.

Lodi lake is located in the town of Lodi a couple of miles west of highway 99 off Turner Road.  The Mokelumne River runs into the lake and it makes for a great paddling venue.  There is a launch ramp but you can also launch from a grassy area next to the river.  There are restrooms, picnic tables and a swimming beach available.  The entrance fee is $4.00 if you are a resident or $5.00 if you are from out of town but they only charge when there is an attendant at the kiosk.

Tonight I paddled about 3 miles up the river and took in the view.  There are some beautiful homes right on the river! There was absolutely no breeze and the water was like glass.  It was a very peaceful paddle for the most part.  There were quite a few Jet skis on the water and a couple of patio boats but everyone seemed courteous this evening.  There are lots of birds to view and I saw a turtle sitting on a log soaking in the sunshine.  It sounds like the fishing in the Mokelumne is good but I haven't tried it yet.
For me, kayaking has become a  great way to relieve stress!  It just melts away with each stroke.  To be able to combine kayaking with my photography has been a bonus for me. Exploring new places and seeing them in a perspective most people don't get a chance to see, is very rewarding. The following quote from The Complete Book of Sea Kayaking by Derek Hutchinson, sums it up for me: "The kayak, however, cuts no groove and leaves no scar.  The same stretch of water can be paddled every day but the surface may never be the same twice."
A beautiful sunset to end a wonderful day

No comments:

Post a Comment