Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sandmound Sunset

Last night I had the privilege of leading a tour through Sandmound Slough. The weather was perfect for an evening paddle. We launched from Sunset Harbor about two hours after high tide and headed east towards Sandmound Slough against the current. The current made it a bit of work but not too bad. We didn't see much wildlife on this trip, just some coots and a Great Blue Heron but it was very peaceful for most of the paddle.

Unfortunately we encountered a couple of teenage boys on a jet ski who thought it would be funny to swamp our kayaks. They would drive by us slowly and then turn around and swing close to our kayaks trying to spray us with there wake. After the 3rd time I turned on my GoPro and pulled out my VHF and held it high trying to let them know I would be calling the Sheriff. That seemed to do the trick and they stopped harassing us. I called the Contra Costa County Sheriff today and asked what I could do in the future. They gave me their non emergency number to call if I encounter them again. They also told me to get the CF number, if at all possible, and they would pay them a visit.

I always carry a VHF and my cell phone when I'm on the water. When you take to the water be sure and carry a cell phone in a waterproof case or dry bag in case of an emergency. This is the first time I've ever encountered this type of behavior on the water. The majority of people I meet on the water are very friendly and courteous. As the weather gets warmer there will be more people out there so always be aware of your surroundings and know where you are so if you need help you can direct rescuers to your position. The non emergency number for the Contra Costa County Sheriff is 925-646-2441. Call this number and they will dispatch the Marine Patrol.





Thankfully all ended well and we were treated to a gorgeous sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment