Monday, November 11, 2013

Kayak Fishing Contra Loma

Happy Veterans Day! I'd like to thank all the men and women who are serving or have served our country. In particular I'd like to thank my Grandpa, my Dad and my husband for their service in the Navy. Our country is blessed to have so many who are willing to sacrifice their lives for our freedom.





Today I took my Jackson Coosa out for a spin on Contra Loma Reservoir and fished the afternoon away. I didn't catch anything but it was great just being on the water. It was so peaceful out there today and the water was so still it seemed you could walk on it. To my surprise, there was only one other kayaker on the lake today. Lots of people were fishing from the bank and the docks and I spoke with one who said he caught a couple of bass. I know there is fish there because I saw them jumping all around me. I tried everything from powerbait to jigs and lures but I didn't even get a nibble.



Contra Loma is an East Bay Regional Park and you can paddle the lake between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. everyday. The fees add up but it is a really nice park to visit. You want to make sure that your kayak and all your gear are completely dry for the quagga mussel inspection. They charge $3 for the inspection but it's good for 30 days which means you can go to any East Bay Regional Park and will not be charged for the inspection. They charge $4 to launch and $5 for a daily fishing permit. I  purchase a yearly membership so I don't have to pay the parking fee each time I visit. I was told today that you can also purchase a yearly inspection permit for $40. The facilities are very nice and include a boat ramp and picnic area nearby. For more info you can visit their website.

If you would like to paddle Contra Loma but don't have a kayak, Delta Kayak Adventures would be pleased to bring one or more out there for you! The Coosa is also available for rent!

No comments:

Post a Comment